“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.”
– Mark 12:30 (NIV)
In the Christian life, the mind ought to play an important role. Sadly, many Christians leave out their minds when it interacts with their faith. Genuine spiritual transformation cannot occur if we do not develop and engage our minds to worship God and to further His kingdom.
Study Groups at Journey of Faith Church are designed to help everyone to become better Christian thinkers. As our knowledge about God grows, our heart affections and devotion to Jesus Christ ought to follow. When each of us develops a Christian mind, we are following the Lord Jesus as His true disciples. Therefore, loving God with our intellect is important!
“If we are going to be wise, spiritual people prepared to meet the crises of our age, we must be a studying, learning community that values the life of the mind.”
– J.P. Moreland in Love Your God With All Your Mind
There are two facets of the JOF Study Groups. The first is JOF Foundations, which is broken up into four classes. The structure of JOF Foundations is like that of a baseball diamond:
- Passport (Class 1): This is the foundation and first step to your journey as a believer and as a part of the body of Christ. We will be exploring the relationship between church and believer and how you fit in as a valuable part of Journey of Faith Church. We will also get to study and explore the truths about God that we hold most dear.
Passport will serve as a membership class and allow you the opportunity to covenant with JOF for the first time, or re-assess and renew your covenant with JOF.
- Journey to Spiritual Maturity (Class 2): Building upon the foundations set in Passport, Journey to Spiritual Maturity will focus on growing in your spiritual maturity and what steps to take to get there. This class will explore the basic habits that every Christian needs in order to fulfill God’s desire for you to grow into maturity towards Him.
This class will focus on four basic habits that every Christian should develop and equip you with the skills and tools to continue these habits. This class is only open to those who have completed Passport.
- Journey to Ministry (Class 3): The third step in JOF Foundations is the Journey to Ministry class. This class will help you discover who God made you to be and what He made you to do. God has a unique way that He designed you to serve Him, and Journey to Ministry will help you discover the gifts and talents that God has given you and the ministry that God has for you.
This class will focus on discovering your unique ministry through your church family. Completion of Passport and Journey of Spiritual Maturity are required before taking Journey to Ministry.
- Journey to My Life Mission (Class 4): Journey to My Life Mission is about discovering God’s mission for you in the world. God has a universal mission for each of us, and this life mission was why we were created. This class will explore what that mission is and how we can fulfill it.
Journey to My Life Mission is the final class in JOF Foundations. All previous classes must be completed before taking Journey to My Life Mission.
Exploring the Word (Sunday Bible Study)
The second facet of JOF Study Groups is Exploring the Word. These are Bible studies that will cover various topics and/or specific books of the Bible. Exploring the Word classes will be offered on Sundays after worship service.
11:30 AM to 12:15 PM (Sunday Adult Bible Study)
-Room 102 lead by Pastor Mike Lee
-Room 103 Women’s Bible Study lead by Mrs. Mija Lee
-Room 104 lead by Pastor Kiyoung Kim
-Room 106 lead by Pastor Sang Kim
11:30 AM to 12:15 PM (Sunday Journey Kids Bible Study Groups)
-Room 100 for Ages 5 years old and up
-Room 101 for Ages 2 – 4 years old
Reading and Materials
Every Study Group will reference and list useful Christian books that one may want to consider using as study aids. Reading is an important action for our Christian knowledge and understanding to grow.
If you would like more information about the Study Groups program, or if you have questions, please contact the Journey of Faith office.